From it’s inception in 1908 the Bristol Guild has been at the forefront in representing the best in the diverse area of applied arts. Originally born out of the Arts and Craft movement, the Guild sponsored and encouraged the individuality of the handcrafted object over the mass produced article.
The emphasis on the handcrafted object persisted until 1929 when Arnold Robinson became the sole owner. The range of goods expanded to include machine made ware, although the criteria for functionality and excellent design was not compromised.
Arnold Robinson was a stained glass artisan of high standing, designing windows for Bristol University and Bristol Cathedral and many other west country churches. In 1933 he moved the Guild to its present position at 68 Park Street, partly because he needed new premises for his stained glass business.
Taking up residence on the top floor he radically altered the attic space, literally raising the roof and installing large glass panels (windows) on the rear elevation. Ground glass panels filled (covered) the lower sections ensuring that when stained glass panels were held up against them for inspection there was no interference from the landscape beyond.